Recipe Inspiration: Pasta Bolognese For The Man In Your Life

My husband loves red meat…me, not so much! Every once in a while I try to be an extra good wife & make him dishes that incorporate red meat but it’s time consuming to have to make separate meals so we make do with compromising 90% of the time & the other 10% I do love to make him what he really wants when I have the extra time.
My favorite way to incorporate red meat is in a hearty Bolognese sauce because I can freeze half of the batch for another few meals & my guy loves it! This is a very simple version to your traditional Bolognese where there are usually a lot of ingredients. But as I always say, if you’re using high quality ingredients simplicity should reign. The beauty of a Bolognese is that you can really tailor it to what you want (turkey, beef, chicken, extra veggies, a glug of wine etc.) & throw together the ingredients without really measuring & let it simmer for a few hours so it gets extra thick & the flavours marry together beautifully.  Make it your own & use ingredients you love & it will always turn out fabulous!

This is definitely a guy’s kind of dish: EVOO, onion, bacon (My secret ingredient that adds a lot of great flavour & what guy doesn’t love bacon) & garlic sautéing in my beloved French Oven!

Simmering into a thick & luscious sauce!

The perfect accompaniment to any hearty & rich sauce: Rigatoni!
♥ RECIPE
  • 1 lb Ground Lean Sirloin (Or Beef, Turkey, Chicken-whatever you desire!)
  • 5 Slices of Good Quality Bacon or Pancetta, Roughly Chopped (Secret Ingredient!)
  • 1 Yellow Onion, Finely Chopped
  • 2 Cloves Garlic, Grated or Finely Diced
  • 2 Cans San Marzano Tomatoes + 1 Empty Can of Water
  • 1 Tbsp Dried Basil or 1/4 cup Fresh Basil (Torn into Small Pieces)
  • S&P
  • 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
  • Glug of Red Wine (Approx 1/4 cup)
Open up a great bottle of red wine & pour yourself a glass (reserving a 1/4 cup, of course!) ♥ Sauté onion, bacon & garlic in EVOO over medium heat until onion is translucent & bacon is starting to get crisp ♥ Add ground meat and season with S&P & dried basil (if using fresh basil put it in at the end) & cook until no longer pink ♥ Add red wine & let it reduce down a bit before adding the San Marzano tomatoes (break them up with a wooden spoon) & the can of water ♥ Reduce heat to low & let sauce simmer for at least 1 hour or longer stirring from time to time (in between your glasses of wine ;)) ♥ Serve it to your favorite guy with cooked rigatoni or any other preferred pasta & a garnish of fresh basil (if using) ♥ Prepare to be showered with compliments!
QUICK TIP: This would be a great meal to make for your special guy on Valentine’s Day! If you’re not a fan of red meat then another option is heart-shaped ravioli stuffed with spinach & cheese (like the one below that I picked up at Pusateri’s today!) with a simple but luxurious sauce made of juicy tomatoes and sweet basil!
♥ These babies are all mine since my husband is not a cheese fan (what a shame!). Luckily, I have other plans for Valentine’s Day dinner. Stay Tuned!

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Culinary Tips & Recipes and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Recipe Inspiration: Pasta Bolognese For The Man In Your Life

  1. Hubby says:

    OMG I am such a sucker for a mean bolognese sauce and it is amazing, wifey you definitely spoil me and I ain’t complaining 😉

    XoXo

  2. William"the cook" says:

    We are pretty heavy into the pastas these days so thanks for the idea. I am off to pick up my very own french oven as soon as possible, now that looks devine. I did a little research because I had never heard of this pot, it looks like a must have. Feels like I have been cooking under a rock. Hmmm wonder if adding wine to my sauce will make the little monsters sleep longer on the weekends! Definitely worth a shot, Thanks!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s